On 20.11.2013 09:20, Andre Fischer wrote:
On 20.11.2013 08:33, Herbert Duerr wrote:

Please use the --without-stlport configure switch.

This option is the new default. Thanks to Jan for fixing configure.in.
But you'd need to update to the newest trunk version to benefit from
Jan's fix.

Is there any reason why we still need this option (be it default or
not)?

If there is a choice between step-wise evolution and a big-bang change I'd always prefer the step-wise evolution.

We don't NEED this option. We don't NEED individual commits either, all we NEED is a good next release. But a big-bang commit that would update AOO 4.0.1 to AOO 4.1.0 wouldn't be really helpful.

Most users couldn't care less but from the standpoint of a professional developer individual bi-sectable commits that address the different aspects of a problem are orders of magnitude better than their big-bang alternatives.

 Is there any scenario where we would need that switch to turn on
support for stlport?

A developer reusing the latest recipes from our snapshots page would fail with the latest trunk if the --without-stlport option was no longer recognized.

Also code bisection [1] is a very valuable tool in software engineering. When bisecting it is good when one doesn't have too many knobs to turn for each bisection step (such as if rev<xxx then add option, else use a different option).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Bisection

Please learn about this powerful concept. It is another good reason to switch to git because it supports this facility wonderfully.

So the AOO evolution of the configure option was/is:
1) encourage the use of --without-stlport
2) identify and solve all issues on all target platforms
3) make --without-stlport the default
4) remove obsoleted code parts
5) remove --without-stlport being tolerated after it has become the default and it stopped being useful

The current trunk is now after step 4, but as described above tolerating the --without-stlport option is still useful.

Herbert