Am 01/20/2014 08:27 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Matt<mrsyt...@gmail.com>  wrote:
I was alarmed last week to find on your download page, a rather large
advertisement consisting of a big green button labeled "download now"
which led you too the installer of some malware from another site.  I
came across this after my wife asked for help saying she installed
openoffice from your site but it wasn't to be found on her computer.
She had already fallen for the bait.  I almost did too as it was very
hard to distinguish from actual site content the way it was displayed
with out close examination.

It amazed me that an organizations like yours would allow such
unscrupulous advertisers to misuse your name like that.  Your own site
warns of scams by repackagers and unaffiliated download sites but your
dealings with shady advertising networks on your own site puts the users
of open office in just as much danger.

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry your wife ran into problems when trying to download OpenOffice.

The "shady advertising network" you ran into was Google's, and the
website was SourceForge's.  Both are reputable companies, I can assure
you.  But occasionally bad ads do make it in.  We have a way to
request their removal on a case-by-case basis.

You can read more here:
https://sourceforge.net/blog/sourceforge-blockthis-initiative-update/

If you have a screenshot and a URL I'd be happy to send that in for
you.  But I tried right now on the website and I'm not seeing any ads
which match your description.   Is it possible that your wife
downloaded from a different website?  We've seen cases where 3rd
parties have paid for advertisements in search results, and their ads
appear before our website does.

Just as an addition:

Please make sure to download only from here:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/

Here are no ads or malware included.

There is no need to search on SourceForge directly for install files - if this was the way you got OpenOffice.

HTH

Marcus