On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM, jan i <j...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18 February 2014 18:34, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > http://www.italovignoli.org/2014/02/language-support-of-office-suites/
> >
> > Don't you love it when they come up with these false comparisons?
> >
> > If you look a little bit closer you see that they are releasing and
> > counting languages where the UI is only 15% translated.  So yes, if
> > you are willing to release incomplete work then you can claim to
> > "support" more languages.  But what kind of support is this?
> >
> > A specific example:  Tartar (15% UI translated)
> >
> > I thought OOo had a requirement for 80% completion before releasing a
> > translation.  With AOO we made the requirement be 100%.  LO releases
> > 15% complete UI translations ?!
> >
> > Of course, we shouldn't judge their release criteria.  That is their
> > business (and their users) not ours.  But when they make false
> > comparisons in a table, comparing apples-to-oranges, then we ought to
> > note it.  It is not fair to claim lower standards are the same as
> > greater results.
> >
> > Another example:  They've released Hebrew support at 90% complete.  We
> > have Hebrew support at 96% complete, but we have not released it yet.
> >
> > Another example:  Our Icelandic translation (unreleased) is 95%
> > complete.  Theirs (released) is only 88%.
> >
> > Another example:  We have 36 languages at 100% complete UI
> > translation.  LO has only 13.
> >
> > Look at the data and make your own comparisons:
> >
> > https://translate.apache.org/projects/aoo40/
> >
> > https://translations.documentfoundation.org/projects/libo_ui/
> >

> We could also turn around at start releasing less than 100%, I got
> frustratrated with some of the releases where danish have been around 96%,
> and the missing bit was the scripting language.

Maybe our criteria  needs another round of discussion?

> If should be quite simple to group the release in 100% and less than 100%
> so users are warned.
>
> It should be noted when we say 100% it is the UI, it does not include the
> help system.

I did not know this! I thought the translations included the help system.

> But apart from that, I agree the blog is unfair and compare to give an
> advantage instead of being fair (I think that is called marketing).
>
> rgds
> jan I.

We could definitely use a rebuttal blog -- maybe something like
 "The localization strategies of Apache OpenOffice -- maximizing user
usability "

whether the FUD of this thread is referenced  or not