> marcus.m...@wtnet.de>

> in

> for

> could

> exclude

> the

> the

> weird

> as

> as
> flow

> Please
> then
> >>>

> >> Yes, that's doable in the way Kay described. And yes, we would add the
> >> text
> >> and disable downloads.
> >

> > Just to be sure, is this limited to a special subdir like
> > ".../files/milestones/"? Or also, additionally for ".../files/"?

> >> In past we extended the 'staging' period of time for weeks, this could
> be
> >> done again if necessary and it's definitely a more effective way to
> share
> >

> > Good to know. I thought you had extended the timeframe permanentelly. ;-)

It's still set to 21 days maximum. We can of course extend that if needed.
I'll take care of that.

> >> files only with a selected audience (admins). Would that work, or you
> want
> >> to be able to share those files with a larger audience?
> >

> > I don't think it's relevant to a wider audience.
> >
> > We still speak about the timeframe between starting uploading to
> Sourceforge
> > and the official announcement. Within this timeframe it should be
> possible
> > for admins to test the download webpage with scripting - to see if it
> will
> > work - but there must not be no way to download the builds from the
> public.
> >
> > So, I would prefer to go with the "staging"-bit as:
> > - it is already available
> > - there is no confusion for the public
> > - it's easy to delete the bit to make the release public
> > - and (please don't get me wrong ;-) ) we can do it alone without the
> help
> > of you or someone else of Sourceforge.
> >
> > What do others think about this?
> >

> My original recommendation was to put a more prominent warning in the
> [VOTE] emails.  The problem is this:  if we are to have a public vote
> then the files we're voting on must also be public.  Whether this is
> on SourceForge or people.apache.org, it is publicly known that this is
> the 4.1 RC and some websites will download and copy onto their
> websites.   I don't think there is any technological means to prevent
> this.  We only have our ability to educate about the risks.

Yea, actually as per my previous email we can just mitigate the issue for
those who point to us to serve downloads, anyone else can actually download
it - either from their domain or other IP - and then serve it through their
services.

If it's not much of a trouble what about having a different splash-screen,
with a big sign "Attention" explaining that's just a release candidate and
it's not the final product and we recommend to visit always OpenOffice.org
to get the latest available release?