> On 02/04/2014 Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>
>> softpedia.com ... passes traffic through our download redirector flow
>> ... we can indeed redirect this traffic by referrer to a
>>
>> different landing page if one is provided.
>>

> Can't we just serve a 403? It's their problem, not ours. It's not rude at
> all, it's a way to protect our users: if we don't want that our unreleased
> versions are purported for real releases, we need that users only access
> them from a page on apache.org, on openoffice.org or e-mail until we
> release them.
>
> So matching the HTTP referer and serving a 403 unless it comes from *.
> apache.org , *.openoffice.org or is empty seems the best solution to me.
> If we really want to be extra-polite, http://www.openoffice.org/
> download/devbuilds.html should be scary enough for casual users.

We could take the chance to educate those users about which is the last
available version, though. Reading Softpedia site it's clear they are not
providing the end-user with a way to pick up 4.0.1 or 4.1 beta, and the
title is just confusing "Apache OpenOffice.org 4.0.1 / 4.1.0 Beta".

Our aim I believe it's to expand our userbase, redirecting them to an
openoffice page explaining which are the options might be a good thing.

Thoughts?

> Of course, if this is a manual operation that must be done when we enter
> RC phase and undone after release, and only the SourceForge staff can do
> that, then this becomes a bit complex. Or can the project members who have
> access to the SourceForge area enable/disable the protection with no need
> for external help?

So far regex-based redirect based on referral need to be managed by
SiteOps, but I can make sure we get what we want.

Roberto