On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Emanuele <emanuel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> >> http://www.elkarte.it/testing/ooo/
> >
> > that looks very good:
> >
> > - The carousel is something that we really need.
> > - The drop-down menu item "Product" is a good idea to save some space.
> > - The 3-column-design is not too wide.
> >   With shortening the text it can look even better.
>
> You mean the text in the three columns is too close?
> It may depend on the resolution (try squeezing and enlarging the page,
> the layout changes accordingly). Your seems to be 1280, right? (From
> your previous email.)
> Try having a look now (hard refresh to clean the cache).
>

> > PS:
> > Please note that there is a difference between the page above the news
> > carousel and the other part. From the technical part we have to make a
> > difference how to update both parts in general.
> The part above the carousel (including the carousel) depends on
> bootstrap ( http://getbootstrap.com/ ).. actually I started including
> bootstrap for the carousel and then I went ahead and replaced the menu
> as well. :P
>
> >> Okay, is rather different from the current layout but is also a bit
> >> responsive (just to please everybody :P).
> >> I didn't spend much time on the colors and alignment of elements, just
> >> on the general layout of the page.
> >
> > That's OK. We can see perfectly what you try to express.
> >
> > And it looks like if you want to do more and volunteer to do this
> > little refresh. Am I guessing right? ;-)
>
> I had a bit of a hard time trying to checkout ooo-site, it was hanging
> up with:
> svn: E175012: Connection timed out
> now it seems it finished properly...

Our site is LARGE! Yes it takes a while.

> It's just me looking at the wrong place or /ooo-site/ doesn't use
> templates like /site/, but pages are created one by one?
> Because the changes I did, require each page to have stuff added to the
> <head> (jQuery and bootstrap). It may be a bit more work than what you
> were foreseeing.

We use Django templates. The site is generated by the ASF  CMS -- see :
http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html

The "template" pieces are currently in the /lib and /templates directory of
the ooo-site tree.

It would be most helpful if discussions on this new home page design would
be taken out of this current thread and started anew in its own thread.