Hi all

Sorry, one reply to two posts, but they seem so much related, it would
be hard to separate them ...

On 09/09/2014 08:58 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Guy Waterval wrote:
>> Not possible for a developer to use a double licence ?
>
> Sure it is possible. And it is also possible for the copyright holder to
> add the Apache 2 license to work previously released under other,
> usually more restrictive, licenses.

OK, this sounds like good news. So if the developers of the original
(currently broken) code and those of the (to be developed) fix agree to,
eg. license it under both MPL and AL, we could use both code parts in
both LO and AOO?

On 09/09/2014 03:41 PM, RA Stehmann wrote:
> So: if you want to share your code with Apache OpenOffice, use the
> Apache License version 2.0.
>
> But there midht be strong problems, if your patch is a derivative work
> from code which is under copyleft licenses only.

That sounds rather straightforward. The prominent question for me now
is: how does one determine to which degree one code part is derived from
another?

In this particular case, from what I have seen, the code that needs to
be fixed originally extended the already existing code for PDF
generation. The source files in question currently have both, MPLv2 and
ALv2, in their header.

So, assuming that both, the developer of the original extension and the
developers of the new fix to it, at least double-license their work (or
put it all under AL), this should be possible, yes?

If yes, what are the steps to be taken once development has finished? In
what form does that consent (the double-licensing) have to be stated and
to whom?

And, on a more technical side, how can we make sure that the code
developed in the LO tree (the original extension and the new fix)
actually gets into the AOO tree? Afaict we would need an AOO committer
to do that, as currently none of the devs in question have commit rights
to AOO, from what I know.

Is there a designated process for that?

Thanks again for bearing with me and for any insight ...

best
/markus