> > On 21/10/14 18:00, Mateusz Zasuwik wrote:
> > > For instance, here:

> > > stalled, while LibreOffice remains an active project.
> > >
> > > Much of OpenOffice's recent decline may be due to IBM's withdrawal from
> > the
> > > project. OpenOffice 4.1.1. An anonymous informant alleges -- and web
> > > searches appear to confirm -- that IBM did nothing to publicize
> > OpenOffice
> > > 4.1.1 when it was released on August 21, and that, since then, IBM
> > > developers have disappeared from the OpenOffice mailing lists.
> >
> > well I see still IBM developers here on the list frequently but of
> > course less. It is simply because we do less but it does not mean
> > anything else.
> >
> > But the question is of course more why does it matter. If we do to much
> > people say we control the project,if do to less people say OpenOffice is
> > dead. Really strange and people should think about Apache and how Apache
> > works. It is potentially a harder time for OpenOffice if we do less but
> > it is up to the community to keep the project alive together with us.
> > Nobody should rely on our resources and expect that we will do it.
> >
> > OpenOffice is and remains a powerful brand even if the projects runs
> > slower. Important is the quality and if it solves the daily tasks of our
> > users.
> >

> Hey Juergen.
>
> Thank you for answer. So, for me, the most important question is "why IBM
> minimize its involvement?".
>
> The part about controlling project is irrelevant for me, because every
> project has its own carriage horse. For OO it was Sun/Oracle/IBM, for
> LibreOffice it's SUSE, Collabora, Lanedo. The role of community is hype for
> me. I am just a little surprised with speed of AOO development, especially
> when we recall from memory IBM's announcements about Lotus Symphony's end
> of life and when we recall their promises about release "IBM OpenOffice
> Edition". I thought this company will do their best to renew code,
> interface and it will undertake tries to monetize this project what should
> let OpenOffice thrive. Lotus contained many nice solutions i.g. tabs system
> and now everything seems to be going down.
>
> People (users) are worrying about OpenOffice status so I would like to just
> rectify some opinions floating around. Many says that IBM alone stop
> believing in OpenOffice. You confirm that IBM is doing less. Wiki is not
> updated for a long time. So this symptoms are showing... what exactly?

If people are worried they just need to start contributing to AOO, for
example translating http://www.openoffice.org/pl/.

Just drop an email to l10n and the AOO community will provide tools and
instructions to let you all become active stakeholders.

*Ask* not, what AOO can do for you. *Ask* what, you can do for AOO.

We value people by their actions, everyone is pretty much welcome in a
community where meritocracy and diversity are the only way forward.

Roberto