On 24/10/14 10:00, RA Stehmann wrote:
> On 23.10.2014 18:16, Rob Weir wrote:
>> A short term goal, in addition to whatever 5.0 discussions we want to have.
>>
>> Let's try for a 4.1.2 release containing:
>>
>> 1) Whatever new languages/language updates we have, including of
>> course dictionary updates.
>>
>> 2) Fixes for any critical bugs, especially any introduced in AOO
>> 4.1.1.  Do we know yet which bugs these are?   Do we have a short list
>> of the most critical ones?
>>
>> 3) Patches merged in from new dev volunteers.
>>
>> I think #3 is extremely important here.  Although not as evident to
>> users, these small fixes and small enhancements reflect wins in the
>> community.   We've had many new dev volunteers in the past few months
>> working on "easy fixes".   Let's try to help them get their good work
>> into the hands of users via a release, and give us all the good
>> feeling that comes from shipping code.
>>
>> So this might be a slower release, since we're focused on new
>> volunteers and mentoring them takes time.   But I think this is a
>> worthwhile investment in the community.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> It's ok for an exceptional case, but normally we should follow the
> established release schema: x.y.0 and than x.y.1 and than either x+1.0.0
> or x.y+1.0.
>
> It was communicated and is well known by the users, and we should
> demonstrate reliableness.
>
> I don`t like a x.y.5 or higher version for AOO. I love distinction ;-).

Let's see the logic behind the version numbers

<major>: huge release with visible changes and new features including
incompatible API changes if necessary. Translation updates are most
often necessary to address the UI visible changes.

<minor>: smaller improvements of features that don't need any
translation. And of course any kind of bug fixes.

<micro>: only selected bug fixes and most often only critical ones. This
includes any potential security issues.

Keeping this in mind a 4.2 would probably make more sense but will we
have enough fixes and minor improvements in place?

Juergen