Am 12/10/2014 08:22 AM, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 23:01:01 +0000
Rory O'Farrell<ofarr...@iol.ie>  wrote:

On 9 December 2014 22:19:41 GMT+00:00, Marcus<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
Am 12/09/2014 11:10 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
Marcus wrote:
Am 12/09/2014 06:23 PM, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
If we are working towards a new release, could the "Java not found"
message from Windows be extended to be more informative? It could
be
amended to say something like "OpenOffice needs a 32 bit Java,
which
has not been found on this machine". ...
Do you (or someone else) know where to find the sentence in teh code
extend it?

If you have the exact error string, it should be fairly easy to find
it
here (in English):
http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/

maybe Rory can help here. It's easier than to search through 1560 hits.
;-)

I'll uninstall Java on on unused windows machine tomorrow and catch the error
message, but it is likely to be about 15 hours from now as I have meetings
tomorrow morning. Going to bed now!

Here is the message as quoted on the en-Forum

"JRE is Defective
No Java installation could be found
Please check your installation"

thanks for your help.

I think I've found the locations in the code and it seems to be a combined text from 2 sources:

http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/svtools/source/java/javaerror.src
Line 86

and

http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/connectivity/source/resource/conn_shared_res.src
Line 535

The problem that I see is that it's a generic message for all platforms. So, when changing the wording like "... Windows needs a 32-bit JRE ..." then it will look stupid on Linux and Mac. ;-)

So, we have to find a better generic wording.

My suggestion is:
- don't use "JRE is defective" at all as it is missleading with the next both sentences.

- instead of just writing "No Java installation could be found. Please check your installation." better would be to add another sentence like "Hint: When using a 32-bit operation system then also a 32-bit JRE has to be installed. Or a 64-bit JRE when using a 64-bit operating system."

And then maybe add the URL Kay has mentioned.

Next problem for me:
Of course I can change it in the code with a commit. However, I'm not able to create a build to check myself to see if my fix is good or produces an ugly build breaker. I'm not yet so far to build AOO from scratch myself. I wanted to try this for the quite days at this years end.

Any tips?

BTW:
At least we can satisfy Dennis' request to find a better word for "defective". :-P

Marcus

If you have a translation, the fastest way (it's in OpenGrok too, but
in
huge files) is probably to search for it in Pootle:
https://translate.apache.org/projects/aoo40/
and find the English original, then do the above.

Fixing the message should be quite easy too, but open an issue for it
and report the number here if you have doubts.

OK, let's see.

Marcus