Am 12/21/2014 11:06 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
On 11/12/2014 Andreas Säger wrote:
My suggestion (can be executed as a team, not necessarily by one
person):
1. Find a proper wording for
http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html
More detailed info is needed to overthrow the common prejudice that
OpenOffice relies heavily on Java which is not even true for the Base
component.

Thanks for the excellent text. Indeed, the page could be written in the
form of FAQ and this one (link to archives:
http://markmail.org/message/zr5cjxxpv7qqu5y3 ) be the answer to "What is
Java needed for in OpenOffice?".

2. Create a link www.openoffice.org/java pointing at it

when thinking a bit, I would favor to completely move the file to the root of w.oo.o

As it is the explaining text how OpenOffice and Java are working together and therefore it has nothing to do with the download - as it was in former days as the JRE was included - it's better suited there than in the download area.

What do others think?

3. Find a short (short!) text for the dialog box, sending the people to
www.openoffice.org/java for any details (including 32 and 64-bit

And here we have this proposal by Dennis, which can work for me.
http://markmail.org/thread/awj3rdjxluw4kdf3

He updated his suggestion a bit. Now it's:

"Some OpenOffice operations use Java Runtime (JRE).
A suitable JRE is not installed. For details
http://openoffice.org/java.html";

This would be very easy if the dialog box would not show inadequate
JREs. If it would list only the JREs with correct bitness, the list of
JREs could have a slightly modified label with a 32 or 64 bit prefix
like this:
<32|64> bit Java runtime environments (JRE) already installed:
I strongly suggest to fix the list content first. Showing the right
label text with wrong options does not help much.

At the moment, this will have to be postponed since nobody volunteered
to do the needed code fix. So I would go on with the rest, otherwise we
will wait forever.

4. Place #3 in form of a patch in Bugzilla and send the number here (and
if the patch comes from someone who is not one of the usual code
committers, even better)

5. At that point it will be easy for people who have their own build
tree to check the patch before we get it in, so don't worry about this.

This is still perfectly feasible, so my recommendation is: just do it!
We have the text, creating a patch from it is easy and even it is a
small improvement it will help many users.

Then it's time to go to point #4.

Marcus