Hi Dennis,

On Jan 30, 2015, at 12:36 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Pedro and Jürgen,
>
> It is important to be concerned about false contrasts and comparisons.
>
> There is a risk, when we are essentially preaching to the choir, that we sink
> into some sort of fundamentalist hyperbole as well.  It is satisfying, it is
> credible to us, and it can be a mistake.  Facts are more nuanced than
> portrayed.  It is also unnecessary for the voice of the project to be taken
> there.  There are many places where such matters can be discussed without
> embroiling the project.
>
> A company is certainly not going to learn about the risks of running pirated
> software here first.  I don't want to get into fine points of how the BSA
> operates.  Anyone can research the rewards for whistle-blowers on settlement
> without lawsuits at
> <https://reporting.bsa.org/r/report/usa/rewardsconditions.aspx>.  My main
> point is that an AOO stance is insignificant and not informative to someone
> for whom license management is a serious concern.  Also, the BSA does not
> pursue individuals using software separate from and outside of their
> employment.
>
> It is more important, to me, that there be clarity about what the AOO
> licensing conditions are and how easy they are to satisfy at essentially no
> cost.  Comparative cost-benefit is much larger than that single factor.  AOO
> site and resources could be more helpful in determining how to migrate
> successfully, though.  That's something where we have an opportunity to act
> as a contribution to the public interest.
>
> The business about copy-left versus permissive licenses is evidently what
> attracted the attention of the legal-discuss list here at the ASF.  I had not
> known what the actual discussion was at
> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201501.mbox/browser>.
>  The conclusion later in that thread led to the footnote on the current
> version of the page at <http://www.openoffice.org/why/why_compliance.html>.
> (Another list I need to re-subscribe to.)  A still unanswered question from
> the list is about whose voice this statement is made in.  The footnote says
> it is not the voice of the ASF.

You will find some more discussion on private@oo.a.o where you may be
resubscribed to soon.

> It is a matter of firm policy that the ASF does not have anything to say
> about other (open-source) licenses except with regard to how they are
> honored, where accepted, in ASF Apache Projects.  The only ASF compliance
> concern is with the Apache License version 2.0 and the ASF conditions on how
> the releases and distributions produced by Apache projects honor all
> governing licenses.  That is more appropriately presented in material
> addressed to ASF Project developers and potential contributors.  The only
> advice to adapters of software from ASF Projects is that it is important to
> observe the licenses that apply.  And that interested parties should look
> elsewhere for legal advice and assurances.

Exactly - so what the project writes here is NOT ASF policy unless we want to
be more general and find a way to have it be an opinion of many.

> - Dennis
>
> PS: Other circumstances had me learn, recently, that the reason the Chair of
> the PMC is an Officer of the Foundation is for important legal purposes with
> regard to the nature of the Foundation and the umbrella it creates for
> projects under its auspices.  Some of the legal considerations and their
> honoring are viewed as extending to the PMC as well and the Chair is
> accountable to the Foundation for that.  The PMC, in addition to its
> attention on the direction of the project is also governed by some legal
> requirements.  I know that's pretty abstract, it is for me too.  I expect
> that Chairs get on-the-job training in such matters.  I surmise that the
> charge to operate in the public interest and within the parameters the
> Foundation has defined for fulfilling on that is paramount.

The board will lean in as needed, but better to go the other way and seek
clarity.

I am taking it as a sign of this project's maturity within Apache that this is
a quiet discussion. Let's keep it to the frequency of one reply per person per
day.

If anyone wishes to propose other language for these pages then we should
discuss it - slowly and carefully. I agree with Jürgen that we should be
playing our game. The game is an Apache OpenOffice and an ASF game. It is
neither an OpenOffice.org nor is it a TDF game.

Personally I am at Apache for the permissive license, others have their
reasons. That they are here is enough for me.

Regards,
Dave