On 09/10/2015 03:00 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 10/09/2015 Kay Schenk wrote:
>> We would very much like to include a tribute page for Ian Lynch on the
>> ASF Memorials page: http://www.apache.org/memorials/
>
> Thanks a lot for this. I recommend that the entire past thread on this
> dev list is scanned for information, since we already have some material:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40openoffice.apache.org/msg24780.html
>
> As for me, I can only restate that I never had the occasion to be in
> personal contact with Ian, unfortunately. But I believe we can come up
> with a short text like the others in that section, for example
> http://www.apache.org/memorials/bruce_atherton.html
> and remember Ian this way.
>
> I will commit the page if you send the final text here.

Attached please find changes for /memorials/index.html and an entry for
Ian Lynch. I added the ".txt" extension because I didn't know what
enzlym would do with ".mdtext".

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

MzK

“The journey of a thousand miles begins
 with a single step.”
                          --Lao Tzu

Title: ASF Memorials
Notice:    Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
           or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
           distributed with this work for additional information
           regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
           to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
           "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
           with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
           .
           .
           Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
           software distributed under the License is distributed on an
           "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
           KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
           specific language governing permissions and limitations
           under the License.

# Introduction #

It is an unfortunate truth that, at times, any community will lose valued
members. This site is intended as a means to rejoice in them and their
contributions to our community, and to keep their memory alive.

It is hoped also that this site will help give family and friends who have
not participated in the Apache Software Foundation projects some insight
into the work that their loved ones have been doing here, and also a flavor
of the relationships that they had developed with their colleagues at
Apache.

#  #

|  **Date**  |  **Name**  |
|------------|------------|
| 29 July 2015 | [Nóirín Plunkett](noirin.html) |
| 24 May 2015 | [Ian Lynch](ian_lynch.html) |
| 5 September 2013 | [Bruce Atherton](bruce_atherton.html) |
| 25 September 2008 |  [Dion Gillard](dion_gillard.html)  |
| 1 August 2008 |  [Maurice Marrink](maurice_marrink.html)  |
| 4 October 2005 |  [Nicolas Chalumeau](nicolas_chalumeau.html)  |
| 29 January 2004 |  [Martin Pöschl](martin_poeschl.html)  |

Title:     Ian Lynch - A Memorial
Notice:    Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
           or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
           distributed with this work for additional information
           regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
           to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
           "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
           with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
           .
           .
           Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
           software distributed under the License is distributed on an
           "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
           KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
           specific language governing permissions and limitations
           under the License.

It is with great sadness, that the  Apache OpenOffice community must report the
passing of Ian Lynch, one of our PMC members, on May 24, 2105. Ian had been a
contributor to  marketing and education efforts for OpenOffice long before it
was contributed to the Apache Software Foundation. As a founding member of the
Open Source consortium, Ian epitomized what it meant to be a proponent of open
source.

As a contributor to OpenOffice, Ian's participation in the Marketing project
was invaluable in establishing OpenOffice.org as a business-class product and
organization to everyone. In his role as an Education project lead, Ian was a
strong voice in putting OpenOffice into schools, and finding easy ways to do
that. His enthusiam for open source, particularly in the education sector led
to the establishment of INGOTs, International Grades with Open Technologies, a
low-cost means for students to obtain certifications relying soley on open
source packages to comply with a variety of EU educational standards. Some of
Apache OpenOffice's current committers were involved in the early days of
INGOTs. He became well-known in the open source community.

Ian's life outside of his open source work was filled with accomplishment as
well. Ian was a competitive weight lifter, and due to his Mathematical
background, a contributor to adjustment formulas for bodyweight used in that
sport.

His vast open source experience and global viewpoints will be missed.
***Thoughts about Ian...***