On 07/11/2015 Marcus wrote:
All nice, but with a short of developers that could do any of the points
you listed below, it's just a theoretical idea what could be done. ;-)

While Damjan brought a somewhat more pragmatic approach here, I'm still skeptical: not even coming to whether it is desirable, a Java port is unrealistic at the moment. Sure, automation can help, but our usage of C++, with proliferation of types, exceptions used for non-exceptional control flow and many other issues that could be listed makes it hard to rely on a "standard" transformation tool: at least we would need a huge investment on tests.

This doesn't mean that developers who love Java don't have anything to do in OpenOffice! Completing Andre's unfinished work on the new Java-based OOXML import/export framework would be a spectacular asset that a large percentage of people would benefit from. Ask for pointers/history if interested: there are wiki pages, issues and code, but it may be hard to find out what refers to the new project and what refers to the existing read-only implementation.

Regards,
  Andrea.