Patricia Shanahan wrote:
I don't think I have much to contribute to the profile corruption issue.

Well, I can't believe it is very hard to write a Windows equivalent of

$ mv ~/.openoffice/4/user ~/.openoffice/4/user.20153112-123456

and wrap it into a GUI Windows executable that adds a few bells and whistles around it. Users apparently are much happier if we give them a tool than if we tell them to find the OpenOffice profile and rename it.

I would like to see the backup issue properly documented in Bugzilla,
including any prior analysis

I can't help you with this. The dictionary one has been discussed for years, and it could be fixed (after the fact) by a simple tool like the one described above, but I had not heard of the backups issue until this week.

Regards,
  Andrea.