On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 13:58:09 -0800
"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:

> My reading of the bug report is that it is entirely about OS/2 and has
> nothing to do with Windows.
>
> I suppose the only question is whether that created a regression on 4.1.2 on
> any non-OS/2 platform.
>
> Do we know if Yuri (or someone) merged those changes to the AOO410 branch
> before AOO 4.1.2 was released?
>
>  - Dennis

I had promised to upload John_Ha's analysis of some OO problems, in particular
his findings on the "Spellcheck problem" and on the "vanishing pictures"
problem.  For reasons connected with real life neither he nor I followed up on
this and then matter slipped our minds.  I've reminded him of this and he
promises a detailed write-up in 24 hours, which I'll post to this list for
preliminary consideration.

>From Forum experience I can say that one aspect of the spellcheck problem,
>viz., that suddenly it ceases working, seems to arise mostly from over hasty
>close down of the computer, such as snapping a laptop lid shut before the
>hardware/software write buffers have flushed to disk (remember also that many
>modern disk drives have internal buffering and journalling to appear to speed
>matters up).

Advising users who regularly experience spellcheck loss to wait for a few
seconds between closure of OpenOffice and power down seems to cure their
problem. I would not be so rash as to claim that this is the universal cure-all
for spellcheck problems, but that advice seems to cure the majority of "sudden
disappearance of spellcheck" problems.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>