[ ... ]
> > The problem is stemming from the use of BZ as both a code centric
> problem
> > reporting mechanism and a user support tool.
> >

> You are right on that. Historically Bugzilla was used strictly to track
> items that were issues with the OpenOffice software itself, and not for
> use as a user support venue. That is why we had and still have the
> support forums and the user mailing list. IMHO it is perfectly correct
> to to use Resolved-Not An Issue to close purely support issues.
>
> Keith
[orcmid]

I have already remarked that I think this separation is too binary.  These are
often not "purely support" matters and the mailing lists are often not that
helpful.  The forums are great when an issue is curated so that users don't
have to parse all the comments to figure out what's-what.

One thing the BZ does, if someone has figured out how to make a report, is
provide issue-specific mailings of comments back to the reporter, and that's
automatic.

Also, my view is that every BZ issue (and reports on lists and the forums) is a
gift.  Someone went to a fair amount of difficulty to make their experience
known.  We should be grateful and that should be reflected in responses.  Users
are completely baffled by "NOT AN ISSUE" when that is patently untrue in their
world and I doubt it reflects well on the project.

Sometimes users, based on provided comments, will figure out that it may be
something they did and can avoid, or there is a feature that solves their
problem.  That's great, and the issue will not stick around and look like an
open matter.  This is not the norm.  Even so, these tell us things where we
might have something more helpful in place for fielding a particular case in
the future.