[orcmid]

My impression is that original reporters rarely do this and might not even have
the necessary karma.

As you can see in one of the two you linked to, I was the guilty culprit [;<).

> > So, we can use the new NONE (thank you Marcus!) as the Target Release,
> or
> > do something else to ignore these types of issues for verification in
> > build.
> > The problem is stemming from the use of BZ as both a code centric
> problem
> > reporting mechanism and a user support tool.
>
> I don't think it should be marked RESOLVED-FIXED unless it was actually
> fixed, and therefore has a release in which the fix first appears. To
> me, RESOLVED-FIXED with a target release of NONE is self-contradictory.
>
> What is the objection to changing the resolution to reflect reality?
>
> For example, if it was a user support issue that does not entail a
> source code correction, shouldn't it be marked RESOLVED - NOT_AN_ISSUE
> rather than RESOLVED - FIXED with a target date of NONE?
[orcmid]

I agree that RESOLVED - FIXED might be inappropriate in many cases.  However,
RESOLVED - NOT AN ISSUE is often too heavy-handed.  It can clearly be an issue
to users, especially when it is an identifiable usability matter although not a
code bug, but still there may be some clear product-behavior deficiency.  And
the issue may be recognized as such by the project, too.

The problem is "Issue for Whom," when it is about a deficiency in the product
but not a bug in the conventional sense.  Since we our software is user-facing,
it would be good to own that such issues are issues for us as providers of
something valuable to users. BZ is our basic mechanism for existence and
attention to such cases.

I also recall seeing "NOT AN ISSUE" used when IRREPRODUCIBLE might be a better
matter (i.e., when the reporter fails to provide needed details to know
specifically what the matter is).

Also, sometimes the "fix" is elsewhere (i.e., documentation, workarounds on a
wiki, whatever).  I suppose that means CONFIRMED but not acted on until cleared
up somehow, or a WONT-FIX that indicates the workaround is all that is coming.

I think it comes down to specific cases.  The ability to have a RESOLVED-FIXED
with a "None" release target is useful, and we now have it available.  We just
need to use it appropriately.  It just means that the fix is other than in a
code release.

We also need to make clear what the general uses of these categories are.  That
may already exist somewhere but it perhaps need to be surfaced more and
promoted on the QA and DEV lists.