I don't want to get too fussy, but we are talking about different statistics
here.  Comment inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kay Schenk [mailto:kay.sch...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2016 09:54
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Removing all tracking from AOO sites

On 05/20/2016 09:27 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
Guys, please ...

I just wanted to give a short update into my investigation of our
Google
Analytics usage.

* There IS general individual usage collection in some reports but
the
"user" information is translated into something called a "client id"
-- so
not by IP.

Let's just not be naive here. We are giving direct information about
our
users to
a company that has ample power to tie this information to specific
users
and
that already may own the content of your emails and navigation
history.

Ever heard of Big Data? This information will be correlated along with
the latest
searches and will be sold for commercial value to other companies and
will also
likely be available to the governments of the world at request. For
whatever
Mr. Trump may find it useful is another matter.

I understand broadly what your concerns are. But really, in this day and
age, almost ANY website you visit has some sort of tracking mechanisnm
in place. Next time you "visit" anywhere, you might want to check this.

Worst of all, we are not getting any value from this tracking ...
let's
stop it now.

Well this last statement is NOT true. For the download page especially,
it is valuable because we can find out generally what OS the user is
using, complete with version information. I mean in a bulk sense.
[orcmid]

I get all of the download statistics I see from SourceForge.  That is based on
the downloads they serve and should have nothing to do with what we do on our
web pages with regard to Google Analytics, etc.

Knowing the browser information, including default OS and language preference,
is different than knowing what download, if any, they are requesting.  I
suspect SourceForge has that information on the click-throughs to where they
serve the requests, whether or not we provide tracking on the AOO pages.

That is correct. So whatever is "collected" from the download page vis a vis browser, OS, OS version, etc, would be the same OS version info that would be available for collection by SourceForge. But, I don't know what SourceForge collects in this regard, if anything. What we see from that site is downloads based on filename. They may not be saving any of the client information.

Of course, the visits to www.openoffice.org/download do NOT automatically translate to an actual download.

Pedro.