This is mainly a summary of opinions I've already expressed on
security@. The discussion does not actually involve anything that needs
to be confidential, so it should be taking place on dev@ instead.

This is controversial - I expect replies disagreeing with my views. The
point of this thread is to hash out the diverging opinions and reach a
consensus:

Although I has not yet happened, there is a risk that AOO could be the
subject of an in-the-field exploit of some, as yet unknown, security
vulnerability. If that happened, users would have to suspend using AOO
until we get a fix to them in a form they can use. If that suspension
went on too long, or any significant number of users were harmed, AOO
would be dead.

We need a plan for releasing an emergency fix, and we need to rehearse
the plan, possibly by picking a relatively minor, not yet exploited, bug
and following the emergency process for it.

The only effective way to get a fix distributed to most of the end users
is to create and upload to SourceForge a new set of binaries. My
reasoning is that anyone using AOO can either download and install
software, or has someone who can and will do it for them. There is
nothing else we can depend on. In particular, we cannot depend on the
ability to follow an unfamiliar set of instructions accurately.

Note that most Apache projects distribute software that is installed and
managed by programmers or system administrators, who are experienced in
following non-trivial instructions accurately. AOO can be installed and
managed by non-technical end users.