Am 08/07/2016 07:38 PM, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus [mailto:marcus.m...@wtnet.de]
Sent: Sunday, August 7, 2016 10:16
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: Planning for emergency releases

Am 08/07/2016 06:14 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:

On 8/7/2016 8:29 AM, Marcus wrote:
I don't want to have it perfect. And we are already in this emergency
situation. We have either a patch process nor a full-release process.

We don't have what I consider to be the full emergency, a live exploit
in the field.

OK, ACK.

Why not both strategies? Go ahead with the inferior, clumsy,
user-hostile patch process because that is the best we can do this
week,

I would do it (or help) when I had some knowledge in Windows batch
programming. Unfortunately ...
[orcmid]

That part, I can do [;<).

great, then I would like to test this.

but meanwhile work on getting competent at preparing a full release
promptly if needed.

Maybe we are not that far aways from each other. What I want to to avoid
is to provide hundreads of MBs for a single fix. Of course we can do a
4.1.3 with some collected fixes. As I don't know what is coming in the
future I would not love to see another 4.1.4, 4.1.5, 4.1.6, etc. when
the calendar is still showing 2016. ;-)
[orcmid]

So far, we have the good fortune of a fix having its effect only in a single
shared library, with no problems of substitution into the already-shipped
stable binary.

Other problems may not be so easy.

And with these fixes like 4.1.2-patch1, the level of end-user expertise
required is a problem.

Perhaps we will learn to do this kind of fix quickly and with less
experimentation in the future.  We are learning a great deal here.

Of course. When we get fixes that consists of several files that need to be replaced, then a full release is maybe the better solution.

Marcus