On 30 Aug, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 30 Aug, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>

>> On 08/29/2016 04:14 PM, Don Lewis wrote:

>>> A couple -Wtautological-undefined-compare warnings:
>>>
>>> warning: reference cannot be bound to dereferenced null pointer in
>>> well-defined C++ code; comparison may be assumed to always evaluate to
>>> false [-Wtautologica
>>> l-undefined-compare]
>>>     if (&other == NULL) {
>>>          ^~~~~    ~~~~
>>
>> This one is apparently an old holdoever from C and not recommended
>> currently...
>>
>> See. e.g:
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17772103/can-i-use-if-pointer-instead-of-if-pointer-null
>>
>> It probably needs an update to accomplish what it's trying to do.
>>

>>> warning: 'this' pointer cannot be null in well-defined C++ code; comparison
>>> may be assumed to always evaluate to false [-Wtautological-undefin
>>> ed-compare]
>>>   if(this == 0 || this == &src) {
>>>      ^~~~    ~
>>>

>> Same here...
>
> nullptr is a c++11 thing and is not supported by older compilers.
>
> When I upgraded one of the bundled packages (nss?) I found it had some
> test code that used nullptr that didn't compille on many of our
> platforms.  I had to disconnect the tests from the build.
>
> The warnings are about things that can't be null.  In the first case if
> you have a reference to another variable, then the address of that
> variable can't be null.  In the second case, this could only be null if
> you call a method on a null object.
>
> One of the bits of code that I looked at for the first error looked
> suspicious.  It looks like it is passing *ptr as a reference parameter.
> I'm not sure that's legal, and then the question is what happens if ptr
> is null?  Other calls to the same function were passing a regular
> variable by reference.  The appropriate fix in this case my be to create
> a variant function that accepts a pointer and checks for NULL.  Rather
> than checking &ref == NULL.

Hmn, this is what I was afraid of.  The following code compiles without
any warnings or errors:

#include <stdio.h>

void
func(int &arg)
{
        fprintf(stderr, "%p\n", &arg);
}

int
main(void)
{
        int i, *p1, *p2;

        i = 42;
        p1 = &i;
        p2 = NULL;

        func(*p1);
        func(*p2);
}

Running it gives the following output:

0x7fffffffea7c
0x0

So basically it is allowing *p2 to be dereferenced even though it is
NULL, and the address of the reference variable inside func() is 0.

I guess this isn't well defined C++ code ...

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28689269/how-to-fix-reference-cannot-be-bound-to-dereferenced-null-pointer-warning>