[orcmid]

I wanted to train myself and one way is to look at the code.  It helped me
understand the way that the localization is handled in the .js JavaScripts that
the web site depends so much on.  I wanted to discern the principles and then
keep faith with them.

 1. With regard to the widget, I was able to add it to the Orange "Help Wanted"
block on a test version of the English/default download page (the only page
that has it on the live site).  The reason that I did not propose it is the
widget does not look good that way.  A better widget using the current source
of the data would be needed.  That becomes a more-involved dev-community
activity and I was not prepared to go there.  Also, help-wanted widget is still
experimental and we might run into maintenance issues as there is more
development of the widget.

 2. The current widget (obtained from http://helpwanted.apache.org) can be
customized to show just "openoffice" items.  I added one to confirm that works.
 However, it appears that the widget does the equivalent of "show me
everything" which is why it should be on a separate page.  The list could
become rather long.

We could also have a page that works more like the helpwanted.apache.org page,
but about Apache openoffice only, adding a link to the helpwanted.a.o for folks
who want to know about helpwanted-tasks for all ASF projects.  Before we do any
of that, we need to populate helpwanted.a.o with more OpenOffice tasks.

 3. I did look at putting something on the current
<http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html> page.

Although it is right there in the link, I kept looking for it on
openoffice.org.  My error.  That explains why ooo-site does not have any
get-involved/participate page with the "Diese Seite in Deutsch" line and the
sentence " Although many are content to make a small donation to support Apache
OpenOffice and the Apache Software Foundation (we appreciate every
contribution), some users want to get more involved and volunteer their time
and expertise with the project."

Is this a hack on <http://www.openoffice.org> to break out of the localization
model and link "I want to participate in OpenOffice" to what we call the
project site, <http://openoffice.apache.org>?  It also creates a special island
where certain kinds of task are recruited from the German Language community,
with a separate dev-de@ list.  That separation puzzles me.

 - Dennis