[ ... ]

> I personaly don't believe in that model for Apache OpenOffice. There is
> no
> need for a customized version of Apache OpenOffice. And the people who
> fork, do it normaly to have there own product. They don't want to
> upstream. But Yes, it is one model, who exist within ASF. Not that I'm
> completely against this way... If someone finds a way, to generate money
> to contribute back, it would be nice. But I don't think it's the right
> way.
>
> I'm more with the payed feature model
[orcmid]

That was also discussed - creation of an external organization that would
arrange paid features and contribute to Apache OpenOffice.  That must be
external to ASF.  And either (1) there are AOO committers who participate in
both or (2) AOO committer and PMC must accept the changes and the AOO project
incorporates features in AOO releases.

So the feature organization would need to be able to do everything but make
distributions to provide tested, quality features.  Or have AOO committers in
the feature organization to work on feature branches of AOO SVN.

In all cases, there must be *no* payment process or fund-raising process that
involves the ASF.  That is key requirement #1.  I see that Bertrand Delacretaz
has provided a good answer about this on d...@community.apache.org.

AND

The greatest barrier of all is key requirement #2: finding already-capable
OpenOffice developers who have the capacity and willingness to do such work.
The fees that an OpenOffice features organization would pay must be enough.
Someone with the required at-hand skills can already earn $100,000 per year and
more (in US), with all benefits available where they work.  I do not know
comparable salaries in EU.  I believe it is still expensive in terms of how
much money feature-organization must raise.  Also, providing contract
agreements for performance of feature delivery is also complicated.

There is a great misunderstanding in the user community of how much feature
development costs using developers with professional, at-hand skills.

 - Dennis