> From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:orc...@apache.org]

> I observe that the Board and the Offices of ASF do not wish
> to deal with hypothetical cases.  Exceptions must be specific
> and actionable.  Also, exceptions do not create precedents.
> If one project sees something they want as exception for
> them, they must create specific exception of their own.  (AOO
> has exception for bundling some writing tools in binaries
> only, not in source code, because licenses are incompatible.
> It is very specific and not a precedent for other projects.
> When details of another exception are worked out, it is often
> revealed that the cases are not the same. The ASF avoids
> common risk of others seeing more "precedent" for their case
> than there actually is.)
>
> It seems to me that if there is a request for some sort of
> external relationship(s), the external parties must already
> exist and be prepared to provide detailed agreement on how it
> will partner with AOO project in a way that preserves the
> principles and purpose of the ASF in how AOO participates in
> the arrangement.  This is not hard.
>
> I do not think making exceptions about hypothetical
> arrangements and then seeking external parties will work.
>
> That is why it may be better for external party to be created
> first, operating as good downstream citizen, before requiring
> anything of the AOO PMC and ASF Board.  Ideally, no
> significant attention will be required.  The only thing
> external entity cannot do, and PMC would have to intervene,
> is make use of Apache trademarks in other than allowed ways.
> Since it is not proposed that the external entity release any
> software product, this should be agreeable.

Yes, you are right, this is an important other perspective of the subject. I
had not seen this perspective until now.

> Only my thoughts, not thoughts from any PMC or Board discussion.

Accepted.

But in a specific case, it needed clear statements. That means it has to be
clarified which way is the right one.

(A)
first create a concrete external party and then seek the reconciliation with
Apache.

or:

(B)
first discuss with AA how such an external party must be constituted and then
establish this party.

At the moment I can not say which way I find better. I can see that Dennis
personally (A) preferred.

The question is which way does the ASF and the OO PMC prefer?
I think this requires official answers before we can continue the discussion in
a goal-oriented manner.

Greetings,
Jörg