On 14/09/2017 Dave Fisher wrote:
does SVN vs. GIT prevent new developers from volunteering?

I think this is the key question, even though there are many good points also in what others replied.

We currently have a couple semi-official GIT mirrors: one on Github in the ASF organization page and the internal one Herbert pointed out. I also remember that Herbert once presented a big GIT repository he had built with all the available history of the OpenOffice code, but I don't know if it is available somewhere.

I believe that the interested developers (including me, at times) use the git-svn tool when convenient. I think that this is enough to allow the local workflow improvements Damjan was requesting. Or do you see reasons not to use it?

As for the new developers, most new developers are probably familiar with the "pull request" convention. This is not supported by either of the current repositories, mostly due to ASF policy. Last time I checked, Infra was still discussing how we can allow pull requests in a way that complies with the policy and I have no idea whether this is resolved. Once we have official support from Infra and a friendly pull request system, this might indeed improve the approach for new developers.

Regards,
  Andrea.