Unfortunately it looks like the problem is harder than just getting it to
build. Even after fixing some more APIs and getting it to play, a separate
player window is created. To get the player window to embed like it should,
we need to set the X window id on the GstVideoOverlay using
gst_video_overlay_set_window_handle() when a "prepare-window-handle" event
is delivered for which gst_is_video_overlay_prepare_window_handle_message()
returns true. But for some mysterious reason
gst_is_video_overlay_prepare_window_handle_message() never returns true.
Forcefully setting the X window id on all events does get it to embed,
badly, with lots of warnings, and the window gets distorted when scrolling
and doesn't respond to mouse clicks 🙈.

Damjan