For development purposes Apple does not allow virtualization and development
has to proceed on physical Apple boxes.

If we could have macOS on a VM not on Apple hardware then we would have a
Apache hosted macOS buildbot now and for the prior four years.

So, Apple does cost the project more. Before you FUD me I’ve been a Mac guy
since the MacSE.

Regards,
Dave