I would like to pick the discussion up again.

In general I prefer a Class type approach over a Function based approach in Code methology. Since Class based has the "buildIn" RAI approach, I think the pool approach does not make sense when classes are used. When ever the desicion goes in favour of function based programing we should concider the pool based memory management for data structures. Therefore a structure that has not an owner is owned and managed by a pool instead of a class.

That has some logic to me. Is there something I miss?

On 25.03.2018 22:59, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
On 3/25/2018 10:44 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Somewhat related ...
> > I have been considering the use of APR pools:
> > http://www.apachetutor.org/dev/pools
> > It would be great to have the memory managed by the same technology used > in Apache httpd.

I need to think about this. It seems very appropriate for transaction
processing. I am not so sure it is a good fit for AOO.

We do a lot of different memory processing in AOO: in some cases it may be more useful that in others.

For the time being I was only looking at using pools to replace some malloc()/calloc()s in SAL but I haven't found time to do a PoC.

Pedro.