On  5 Nov, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Some notes, which I don't expect will be particularly useful ...
>
> - I recall one of the reasons for using Boost and not the native STL was
> that the old MSVC compiler (the one AOO still uses) is poor on standards
> compliance. It may be that the internal Boost can be updated a bit more
> but it has to be tested on the Windows build.

I didn't look closely at all the stlport headers, but at least some of
them forward to Microsoft's include files.

The main user of boost is gcc, which uses the boost TR1 headers,
previously in all cases, and more recently just in C++98 mode.  The only
wrinkles have been the removal of the TR1 headers in the more modern
version of boost installed by the FreeBSD port, and the broken logic for
the compiler feature flags in the old bundled boost.

> - Microsoft's STL implementation is now open source and clang is supported:
>
> https://github.com/microsoft/STL
>
> - While FreeBSD PowerPC is a moving target, the destination is clang,
> spending time on the GCC build there is probably a waste of time:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/powerpc/llvm-elfv2

The clang build also fails.  Right now it fails in configure for some
reason, but even once we get past that, the result of the build will
likely be broken if the system libraries are built with g++.  That
probably means that building with clang will be limited to FreeBSD 13.

I do have a version of the 4.1.7 port that looks like it should work on
FreeBSD/powerpc with gcc.  It gets most of the way through the build on
amd64, but fails at the end because unopkg core dumps when building
instsetoo_native.  I suspect the problem is mixing clang++ and g++
compiled code (the reverse case of using clang on powerpc). I'm waiting
to hear if it actually works before I commit the port update.

Once clang is native on powerpc, I think the existing port should just
work, or be very close.