My honest advice is not too invest too much time on this project. Yes you
will learn about software development and the C++ language on higher level
projects. However the libraries in OpenOffice are not all that used on the
mainstream. I would recommend to pick up a project with Qt5 framework which
is a more popular framework for desktop application development as well as
some mobile.

Good luck