Am 04.06.20 um 12:48 schrieb Carl Marcum:
Hi Peter,

On 5/29/20 7:41 PM, Peter Kovacs wrote:
In general:

I am not a big fan of the monolith structure AOO uses with storing everything in one Repository.

I prefer to have small Repositories, with nice individual Release cycles and modular main repo. They are easier to document, and maintain, or to disembark and switch to other tools / libraries.

Smaller Repos are not as fearsome for newbies, in comparison to one big repo. And it enforces a natural sustained architecture as is described by experts like Robert C. Martin (Clean Architecture) or Carola Lilienthal (German: Langlebige Software Architekturen; translates sustained software architecture).

And my last general argument is, the smarter we set our build environment to handle modularity, the easier it is for Distros to adopt Apache OpenOffice. Distros are the best recruits for developers. We see that in the support from FreeBSD, which made a lot of Bugfixing. Also the OS/2 Development is a good support for our cause. I am sure that there are more examples if we look back in history, which I have not experienced.

This is of courseĀ  a long term vision.

I agree that smaller projects work well for Git. Even down to one artifact (think module) per sub-project.

I do that with my personal projects that have a handful of sub-projects with Gradle builds but could that work with our build systems?

I think we can work around the Issue by putting creating tar.gz files, and include them into our boots trapper.

In the long run, I think, it would be super cool if our SCONs build system has some package manager capabilities like Maven or portage.

If you never heard of portage, take a look at it. it is a super cool package manager of Gentoo, that builds Application at install using directly the upstream code.

Gentoo was awesoem (crazy) times. :)

At least it is my dream to have simple tools like those for building. (And provide simple export tools for distros. If Gentoo ships code files for AOO package instead in doing in by binary, I will party.)

All the best

Peter