Hi Peter,

If we switch to some other embedded database engine we need to provide a
way to let users open their existing databases.

According to the German Wikipedia article [1] H2 provides a
"compatibility mode" for that purpose.

Personally I don't see any reason to move away from Java.

Regards,

   Matthias

[1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/H2_Database#Funktionen