On 08.12.20 03:06, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 8:38 PM Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to know how you guys feel we should move on with our base
Database. Our current strategy is a small sized embedded DB using HSQLDB
(BSD). There are 2 other options in the same weight class, that is H2
(EPL1 or MPL2) and Apache Derby (AL2).

Something like SQLLite (PublicDomain) could be technical interesting,
but I think their licensing is not so appealing.

We could also consider firebird (MPL) like LO, but I have the impression
that this is not a lightweight DB, but featurerich. And I wonder if this
is really something we should provide. I would rather develop a way to
make it easy to switch the DB when a Project grows.

What are your thoughts?

Whatever we do, we have to provide backward compatibility for HSQLDB.

I am more interested in something like Apache Calcite, which would let us
do SQL queries spanning multiple database backends, than in yet another
database backend.

This is an interesting approach. However it is not clear to me on the use.

We get a half baked DB System and need to add stuff like Data Handling right?

And here we need also to write a loader for ODB files. Would we need an In memory Data representation model, too?

It maybe that we have the basics from Calc, but we still need some work, I think.

SQLite is interesting because it's very widely used, runs on iPhone and
Android, is a single file, performs well, and is lightweight.

The hard part is getting the database to write into .ODB files instead of
what it natively uses?
Indeed a topic I did not look into. Actually how is it done today? I do not believe HSSQLDB has a capability for that, right?