On 12/7/20 4:11 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
I agree that eating our own dogfood and using Derby would be the "better" path
to take; plus it is relatively small while at the same time being quite powerful and
compliant.
I think that is a good case for Derby over the others unless one has compelling features not offered.

On Dec 7, 2020, at 2:46 PM, Jörg Schmidt <joe...@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:

Hello,

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kovacs [mailto:pe...@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2020 7:38 PM
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: [discussion] future embedded DB in AOO

Hi all,

I would like to know how you guys feel we should move on with
our base
Database. ...
There is no compelling reason for us to join LO on the database issue, it may
even be strategically smart not to.

I know neither H2 nor Apache Derby and have only briefly checked Wikipedia and
if these two were available I would be in favour of Derby, because:
-obviously better support for SQL
-maybe, due to the longer history, the more mature system
-apparently better encryption features
-Apache Project

But maybe there is an argument for H2:
this project seems to be, in essence, driven by a single developer, most likely
the one who would welcome H2 to become more known when we use it in AOO and
would be willing to coordinate the development of H2 with us, so that H2 adapts
to the requirements of AOO in the best possible way.

With both databases, however, Java bothers me - or have we given up the
intention of making AOO less dependent on Java?
(yes, of course this is a very long-term question)

greetings,
Jörg