Dear All,

I am cross-posting to dev@ and doc@ because... I am not sure which one
fits best. Please excuse me if this is wrong, and only reply on the
correct list.

I personally find building OpenOffice a bit too difficult today, in
terms of _understanding_ what needs to be done. We have build
instructions on the Wiki, build scripts on a SVN repository, but IMHO
a little ``integration'' among these pieces would help every newcomers
(like me) to get a big picture, complete the first successful build
and start helping with the code.

Here are my ideas. I don't know if these topics were already discussed
before my subscription to this list; if so, kindly send me a pointer
so I can avoid you repeating ideas that are already consolidated.

I would like to propose the following layout on the Wiki:

  - build instructions for trunk (currently
    https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
    that needs some updating anyway, such as removing SVN)

    - specialized build instructions for trunk on individual
      O.S. (Linux, Windows, BSD etc)

 - build instructions for the latest release (4.1.8)

    - specialized build instructions for the latest release on
      individual O.S.

The distinction between trunk and release is IMHO necessary. For
example, Jim is doing a very good work of updating core parts of the
build system, and this changes for one the initial call to the
configure script.  In addition, deprecated information such as the SVN
repository could be deleted from the trunk build instructions, and
only remain in the once-applicable instructions.

The current build scripts on SVN should be explicitly indicated in the
instructions, so that everyone will be able to get (almost) the exact
same release build, as what they can download from the web site.

Moreover, having very clear instructions could make DevOps experience
useful, if we ever need it. For those subscribed to the recruitment
mailing list: yes, I am referring to a recent email received
there. :-)

When a new release is out, a ``snapshot'' of the trunk build
instructions will become the release's build instructions. Similarly
to a git or SVN branch. The trunk instructions always document... the
trunk.

If the above is approved, I will be willing to help achieving it. The
roadmap I can think of is the following:

 1- copy the current build instructions to a "release" build
 instructions page.

 2- fix the "release" build pages (starting from going back in the
 page history) so that they contain the actual steps to build AOO
 4.1.8.

 3- remove outdated parts from the trunk build instructions (such as
 the SVN repository)

Thank you in advance for your feedback and comments!

Best regards,
--
rigo

http://rigo.altervista.org