Hi  Kelly,

Welcome to OpenOffice. Please see below what Keith wrote.

The easiest way to push your contribution to us is through a github pull request [1].

If you need a starting point what to fix, start with the list at [2]

I agree with Keith. Learn on building OpenOffice. Then you can try to look into. Since AOO is mature code, dont be shocked. Ask Questions if you need pointers on dev.

We try to help

All the best

Peter

[1] https://github.com/apache/openoffice