On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 06:50:05 -0700
Dave Fisher <wave4d...@comcast.net> wrote:

> When I was a child I asked my father “why?”and he told me that the bug was a
> cockroach flipping a bit in core memory - which was a grid of wires where
> each bit was a little magnetic donut.

Ah! core memory, where each memory cell was a tiny magnetic toroid with X-Y
wires through it.  I can recollect an early computer (circa 1963/4, IBM 1620,
with 40K of store, using 28 bit "words") whose party piece was to play "Bah,
Bah, Black Sheep" on a transistor radio placed on the core store cabinet.

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>