https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper#/media/File:First_Computer_Bug,_1945.jpg

On 30/06/2023 23:05, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
I came across this bit of trivia on a news group I follow:

PS --- don't you love the term "bug". Where I used to work, they had the late Grace Murray Hopper in to give us a talk every few years. One of her anecdotes of the early days was how the term came about. One time a "down" was caused by an insect getting into the machine and causing a short. Could just picture the glee of those people as youngsters as they attached the specimen* and pages and pages about its life cycle, etc. to the hated "problem report" they were required to submit for every "down" as a sort of protest. So naturally, the next time they came over with a report on a down the response was "OK, what kind of a bug was it this time".

* They had sent over to the Smithsonian for an ID and as much information about it as possible, so they had a LOT of pages to append.

Regards
Keith