Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
Hello Dave, All,

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 08:53:04AM -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:

Hi -

I’m hoping to follow up on the host VM and investigate this
issue. I’m likely to need help from ASF Infra on the VM's smtp
configuration. BTW - we also need to make sure that changes don’t
break the MediaWiki which is hosted on that same VM.
Do you have any news on this issue?

[...]

Outgoing mail from the forum has the From field set as
From: <aoo.forum...@gmail.com>
And it does not seem to come from Gmail's SMTP servers.
For what I understand, this is a big no-no, SPF-wise.

Hagar Delest wrote:
It seems to be a recent change:
https://support.google.com/a/answer/81126?hl=en#zippy=%2Crequirements-for-all-senders

Notably also the part on "impersonating Gmail From: headers"

Best regards,
As we have credentials for the GMail account from which we claim to be sending, perhaps a simple solution would be to configure phpBB to use GMail for SMTP rather than the MTA on the local server.