Ken Foskey wrote:

It seems that you got the idea of having childworkspaces :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but childworkspaces still touch the central server, they just operate on a private branch...

Yes, you are correct. The concept of the new SCM tools are a fundamental shift in the way you work. The ability to branch and merge externally on your own tree appeals to me. For example when a new CWS is created internally for review there is a period of time until the merge, during that time I want to be able to merge that branch into my tree then when head merges with that branch I want the merge to actually work. The new SCM tools do that.

It looks like the fact that OOo uses CWS demonstrates that there is a real value in the modern SCMs. :-) It's like it's trying to stack some of that functionality but doesn't quite manage to. :-)

Incidentally, I took a second look at Darcs, and actually it's just as easy to install as monotone. That is, there's a self-contained binary available for most platforms. I just missed that link the first time. I downloaded the one for Solaris and I've been playing with it. So far, I'm happy. It has all the nifty things I said about monotone. Also, the commands are simpler and less verbose. I've read the "theory of patches" and I like it.

I've read that Darcs may have speed issues with very large repositories. I also read elsewhere that this was supposed to be fixed. So I don't know.

Darcs also uses hashes to store versions, it just doesn't ask you to type them on the command line like Monotone. It also doesn't ask you to supply a database. Everything goes into the _darcs folder.

Darcs did not ask me to generate an RSA key like Monotone. I wonder if Darcs comes with other means for signing packages. I'm sure there must be something. Maybe they have hooks to GPG :-) I like GPG.

In any event, for my current purposes (toying :) either is great, but Darcs wins because the commands are shorter and I'm so lazy. :-)

This is fun!

Cheers,
Daniel.