On 11/8/05, Kohei  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 11/8/05, John Hardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > This is the *dev* list isn't it. Pull out your compiler/debugger and
> > whip up a patch.
> >
> > C.
>
> I was hoping that the developer who actually wrote the related code
> would **fix** it. He or she knows where the related code is, knows how
> it works and could fix it in a few minutes.

How did you know that it could get fixed in a few minutes if you
haven't read the code (or you are not going to)?  Just curious.

It is such a simple problem that I don't have to read the code: The code that displays the font size in the Toolbar window is either limited to ZERO decimal places by mistake (a simple-to-fix formatting issue), or it displays the integer portion only by mistake (a simple-to-fix formatting issue), or something like that. This cannot possibly be hard to fix. Can you explain why you think it might take longer than a few minutes? It would be instructive to me. It may have taken a long time to write the code in the first place, but fixing a number-formatting issue in existing code should be a quick fix for the person who wrote it and knows where to look.

Because no one has bothered to file an issue for it?  Seriously, if
you don't want to read the code and provide a fix, that's fine.  But
at least you could do your part by filing an issue so that the right
person gets notified.

OK, got your later message. Rant gracefully ignored.

I certainly wouldn't expect everybody to be a developer and everybody
to be able to fix a bug, but I would at least expect he or she to try
to do his/her part, before coming to a dev list and demand *someone
else* fix it for *you*.

BTW, this would be a great opportunity to get your hands down and
dirty with the code.  Trying to fix a bug that bothers you a lot is a
great way to get you motivated.  That's how I got started too.

I have done some limited Pascal programming, but nothing anywhere near the scale of OO. I have downloaded the source code and tried to find a few things, but it seems complicated and convoluted (to the inexperienced, such as myself).

If I needed some grand new feature that was not normally included in an office suite (and if I could invent the 48-hour day), I would go further. But this particular problem (and issue #45593, which I have also posted a message about) seems to be SO basic that I am amazed that the person or persons who wrote the code in the first place have not fixed the problems. If I had written the code, and someone said "Hey - what's with the missing digits in the Font Size window?" (or, "Why only two decimal places for margins, line spacings, etc.?"), I would slap my forehead, go directly to the code in question and fix it.

But those two issues remain unfixed. Sorry, but I don't understand why. It may seem like I am *demanding* that someone fix the problems, but it is more an expression of my amazement that something so simple has NOT been fixed.

Thank you very much.

John Hardy