Hi Uwe,

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 16:51 +0200, Uwe Fischer wrote:
> so you introduced a cool new feature (by surprise to me), and then some
> people told you that it's not up to the "normal" procedures to do so,
> and now you disabled that feature for Sun builds?

        :-) basically yes, although of course my CWS doing that is not even
QA'd yet.

> I would like you to stand up and fight a little bit more for your
> feature! Well, fighting is not even necessary, just do not kill the
> feature because of some complaining mails.

        Heh ;-) Thanks for your encouragement.

> The current state is that I hurried to get the new feature explained in
> the Help files, and now I must run to revert those changes again?
> This is no fun.

        Well, here is the problem - in order to (properly) fix the lifecycle
issue that various people noticed, it was necessary to change a string
(since the check-button "enable systray quickstarter" now has immediate
effect as you disable it - ie. pointless for it to be a
check-button ;-). So the label is now different -> we break the string
and UI freeze => I assume it's easier for everyone to just disable it
(hiding a string / some UI), and we can think again for 2.2.

        Also Frank's bug / people's observation that it starts by default is
somewhat surprising and unexpected & makes it rather less a niche
feature, I'm not that happy about that; it needs tracking down to the
bitter end & fixing.

> And what must a user do to see the new feature if he/she has a Sun build?

        Sit & hope Sun will include it (after the relevant rigorous
specification process foo etc.) was the general idea.

        So I feel bad to have caused you so much extra work. If you tell me
what CWS your changes are in - perhaps I can back them out for you as a
patch ? [ though not for 2 days ], and then keep them around in that
form to re-commit as/when/if-ever the feature gets enabled so there is
no extra duplication of your effort.

        How does that sound ?

        Thanks,

                Michael.

--
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot