David Fraser schrieb:
Kazunari Hirano wrote:
Hi,

Frank Schönheit wrote:
However, what I really *really* like about this process is
the exchange of ideas and arguments.

I respect the process.
I encourage community developers and CJK developers to access the spec
project wiki [1] and the spec template [2].
For issue 12719 I attempted to have a faster and more accessible specification process
This involved developing the spec collaboratively in the wiki
Unfortunately the spec team did not like this idea and have gone for an OOo template for designing specifications with This is perhaps better than the previous system, but I think there are still significant cases where using a wiki is a much faster route for people (particularly outside contributors) to use to collaboratively produce a specification. Unfortunately I did not have time to pursue this idea; fortunately the Sun team that took over the issue did look through our wiki-based spec and hopefully included some things - the issue is now fixed which is nice :-)

But I would like to propose that this approach to spec generation be given more thought. Reasons:
1) Wikis are designed for this
2) It is easier for a person not heavily involved in OOo to go to a wiki page, make a few changes, edit it, and submit, then it is to get a document out of version control etc, open it in OOo, change it and submit 3) The spec process is apparently working well for those inside Sun, less well for those outside. If there were an easier route for those less involved in development to produce specs it could be run concurrently as an alternate mechanism (possibly with a final step of converting to the required template format, that could be automated) 4) This would perhaps be particularly helpful for outside contributers who are not coders
5) Less likely to break due to problems in the OOo template macros :-)

This was done by having a wiki template that could then be filled out to produce the spec.

Thoughts?
David