> They do (own the copyright)?  So they got people to do the programming for
> them through open source and then copyright it and monopolize the ability

hmm. well, actually, they bought stardivision and opensourced
staroffice. guess what, it was named openoffice.org...

  Rich

Well, that might be different then.  It is not what I had been told happened
with Ooo but if you are correct that might make a difference.
So you are saying that they already owned the source and then released it
for opensource development?  Even so, they could not claim ownership of code
developed by individuals who were not compensated.  They may own the
original source but cannot claim ownership of the newer code unless they
compensate for the work.  Staroffice seems to do this.
Oh well, it doesn't matter.  Those who want to buy software will buy-- the
rest of us get it free.