Hi Jörg,

Jörg Wartenberg wrote:
For me an other aspect of the user interface is much much more important, consistency of the UI over the whole office and with the operating system.
Some of which is simpler while other parts are more difficult, but lets see ...

If you look today on the user interface of the different OOo applications, they look very different. Especially Impress looks totally different with it's 3 pane UI layout. Furthermore the functionality of the slide sorter pane is more or less identical with the Navigator. Why are there two tools in one UI for the same task? Also the Task Pane could be merged with the Stylist.
Ask the developers respectively the UX team ... seems it is more fun to develop similar functionality multiple times than to focus on one implementation ...

An other example are the many different ways, OOo uses too highlight a selected object. Sometime selected text is inverted, sometimes the systems highlight color is used and Draw has a totally different way of painting some green squares around the selected objects.
I think I know what you mean and how it feels like.

Or what about the light bulb window, that sometimes pops up over the lower right corner of the main window. Do you know any system that uses such help windows?
I have to admit, that I basically never open any help systems, the first thing I do if I can't find a functionality etc. is to google it ... ;-) But again you have point, nobody else seems to be using a light bulb, does anybody now where this origins from?

I know, that removing such quirks makes not so much fun, as implementing some cool animations. But in my opinion, this is the point that makes a good user interface. And please, always remind that OOo is a productivity tool and not a video game.
Yes, OOo shouldn't have any competing but similar GUI parts / implementations. Addressing this is more or less a matter of how easy it is to change the GUI in general. Both needs to be fixed/improved and I am going to add that to the list.

On the other hand, I believe that many people judge an application by looking at the GUI, how fast it seems to be, how "pretty" it is and how they are able to adapt it to their needs.

Best Regards
Jörg

Thanks for your comments and pointing out the consistency issue. The platform integration thing is more difficult though should be solvable.

Regards

      Kay