On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Rich <r...@hq.vsaa.lv> wrote:
> seeing as my bug made the list, i'll chime in.
> i've reported quite some bugs, absolute majority being found in real life
> usage. but i'm not the casual user, as i run dev snapshots most of the time,
> which increases chances of stumbling upon bugs.
>
> i'd like to think i'm not the only one who does that ;),

No, you aren't. We're in the same boat. And our app uses 10% of the
UNO API (measured by X* interfaces used), so there's a significant
chance that a regression will hit us.

> i think you already have guessed where i'm heading - stability and usability
> (as in "fit for purpose") of dev snapshots. if dev snapshot has a critical
> problem that prevents me from using it i'll "regress" to last stable
> version, and, quite likely, will stay with it for a while.

I wholeheartely agree. This was a big issue with 3.1. OOo was so
broken for a while that it was  unusable and we simply stopped
building OOo since we saw no point to it. When we got back into
testing (OOO310_m6) we found several regressions but we were too late
for 3.1. The result is that OOo 3.1 will be the worst OOo ever from
our POV. It's so broken that it's impossible to use with our app and
our organization (that's over 9000 OOo installations) will have to
completely skip 3.1 and pray for 3.2 to be better.

> that means i won't find some other bug that will prevent somebody else from
> using a dev build and finding yet another bug and so on ;)

Exactly. Because we have to skip 3.1 due to its brokenness,  there may
be other regressions that we won't be able to find until 3.2 and we
may end up having to skip that release also, which will prevent us
from finding more bugs, and so on...

It's absolutely no fun to maintain a complex app that interfaces with
OOo. There are so many regressions and backwards-incompatible changes
that about every second MINOR version release of OOo breaks our app
and requires us to change stuff and/or introduce workarounds.

There needs to be more stability and fewer regressions!

Matthias