Hi Tora,

The current design is quite easy, if a document is opened read-only it is not locked. If document is opened for editing it is locked.

I must confess, I do not quite understand which scenario do you expect from me. Actually we have discussed scenario you have provided, and I have only suggested a possible solution for it. It would help in the scenario you have described, since to edit document the user would have to explicitly switch to edit mode using "Edit" button:
Another scenario, "Locked out by a reviewer"

1. User A has created an Impress document for a meeting held this afternoon.
 2. User A sends an e-mail to her college User B to ask reviewing it.
 3. User B opens the document file stored in their file server.
 4. Lunch time has come and User B goes to the restaurant.
 5. User A has found some errors in the document.
 6. User A tries to load the document, but gets warned

"The file is locked by the User B."
Best regards,
Mikhail.