On 11 Feb 2009, at 00:41, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:

> El Miércoles, 11 de Febrero de 2009, Frederik Ramm escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
>>> I just finished coding a bulk importer which interfaces directly
>>> to the
>>> MySQL DB instead of interfacing to the API.
>>
>> Well then I say let's just politely ask TomH to open up the MySQL TCP
>> port for public access and create user accounts for us all, and off
>> we
>> go with factor 13 speed. I'm sure everyone will be pleased ;-)
>
> You tell the french guys and their couple million buildings ;-)

Having a slightly less efficient import that ensures consistency is a
great thing, as it means that the database doesn't grow too quickly.

>> Jokes aside, does your bulk importer also implement populating the
>> history tables, making sure that every node referenced by a way (and
>> every node/way/relation referenced by a relation) actually exists,
>> and
>> all these totally useless integrity constraints?
>
> I'm importing brand new data, so populating the history tables is no
> big deal.
>
> On second thought, I haven't implemented integrity checks yet - but
> they would
> be only neccesary if a new way would reference an existing node, not a
> placeholder ID. (Yes, I'm trusting the optimistic locking so I'm
> supposing
> that the data that I just commited to the DB didn't get deleted so my
> placeholder IDs don't get screwed around - or I could just prepare a
> humongous transaction to make sure the diff upload is kind of atomic)

Remember that we are are using transactions with 0.6.....
We really do want to make sure there are too many validations, so that
we know that the data is correct in the database, rather than some
weird inconsistency getting in.

> <joke>
> Anyway, I'm a MySQL guy, not a PGSQL guy. We don't need no stinkin'
> integrity
> checks nor foreign keys here.
> </joke>

<continue joke>
And there is no need for transactions either.
</continue joke>

> If I have time to code the next few months, this is gonna get

Uh oh ;-)