2009/3/20 Ceriel Jacobs <cerieljac...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:35:18 +0100 Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> I have set this up completely inside a webserver. Cherokee, no php,
>> just
>> the python script that renders the thing on demand. Runs in production
>> for months now.
>>
>> <snip>
>> vserver!10!domain!1 = tile.openstreetmap.nl
>
> This looks really well, as tiles are shown after rendering to the
> requesting user.
> No "...more OSM coming soon" messages are sent to the user.

"...more OSM coming soon" implies you're talking about the
tile.openstreetmap.org tiles? In which case that server is running
mod_tile. It's deliberately configured to only wait for the renderer
for 3-4 seconds otherwise it gives you an old tile. You only get the
404 and hence "...more OSM coming soon" tile if there isn't an old
tile available (ie: it's never been rendered before or it's been
cleared out of the server's cache). You're therefore more likely to
get them under heavy load at high zoom where the old tiles are
unlikely to exist and the render-on-demand can't keep up.

Dave